Our Military Ministry Team offers support to veterans and current active military members and their families. Through events, monthly meetings, care packages, speakers, prayers and a partnership with VetStarts, we seek to support those who give so much to our community and nation. Our commitment is to not only support our soldiers and vets but to offer assistance to their families and friends as needed.
If you would like to be part of this group or if you would like to add someone to our active military roster for prayers and care packages, please contact Sherrie Dodds, Congregational Care Administrator.
Here are a few of the activities of our Military Ministry:
- Cookies for the Troops: collect cookies from across the conference to send to our active troops.
- Holiday Flag Program: put out flags on the First Methodist Mansfield campus every patriotic holiday.
- Special Occasion Cards and Letters: send cards and care packages to active military.
- VetStarts Program: financial and volunteer support of VetStarts— a veteran-operated, nonprofit provider of vet-to-vet identity coaching and career transition training.
- Christmas Angel Trees for homeless veterans
Veterans Support Group meets weekly on Wednesday night, shares a meal together, and then breaks into two groups:
This Combat Trauma Group is a fellowship for combat veterans who share their experiences, compassion, and hope in overcoming the invisible wounds of war. This is not a treatment program, but rather a peer coaching and support program whose primary purpose is helping combat veterans find healing, balance, and positive reintegration with their families and in society.
Veterans Caregiver Group
The Veterans Caregiver Group is a support group for the spouses and caregivers of our combat veterans. We share experiences, foster compassion and hope, and share information regarding the invisible wounds of war and how they affect our families. Our primary purpose is to assist the family as a whole with healing and support to move toward a brighter future.
For more information on this ministry, please contact Sherrie Dodds, Congregational Care Administrator.