In conjunction with the USO Outreach Program, our Military Support Group is holding a supply drive for items soldiers traveling through DFW Airport. Collection stations will be available outside of worship spaces starting June 30-July 8. These items will be used by and for Military Personnel who travel through DFW Airport.
We are looking for Single Serve Food, Personal Care, and Miscellaneous Items such as:
- Chocolate Bars, Cookies, Rice Krispy Treats, Pretzels, Variety packs of Chips, Beef Jerky, Granola Bars, Protein Bars, Trail Mix, Mixed Nuts, Sunflower Seeds Peanuts, Bottled Water, and Juice Boxes.
- Baby Powder, Shaving Cream, Deodorant (both men's & women's), Toothpaste/Toothbrushes, Razors, Shampoo/Conditioner, and Lip Balm/ChapStick.
- New or Like New: DVD's, XBox Games, XBox 360, PlayStation 2, and Wii.
- New Children's Toys/Stuffed Animals, New Coloring Books/Crayons, Batteries (all sizes), Paper Towel Rolls, 9" Microwave-safe Plates, and 12oz Foam Cups.
The USO also need books! When flights are delayed— the "library" at the USO office goes through about 20-30 books a day!
Military Outreach Team
Our Military Ministry Team offers support to veterans and current active military members and their families. Through events, monthly meetings, care packages, speakers, prayers and a partnership with VetStarts, we seek to support those who give so much to our community and nation. Our commitment is to not only support our soldiers and vets but to offer assistance to their families and friends as needed. If you would like to be part of this group or if you would like to add someone to our active military roster for prayers and care packages, please contact Erica Uplinger, Congregational Care Administrator.
Here are a few of the activities of our Military Ministry:
- Cookies for the Troops: collect cookies from across the conference to send to our active troops.
- Holiday Flag Program: put out flags on the First Methodist Mansfield campus every patriotic holiday.
- Special Occasion Cards and Letters: send cards and care packages to active military.
- VetStarts Program: financial and volunteer support of VetStarts— a veteran-operated, nonprofit provider of vet-to-vet identity coaching and career transition training. Provides veterans the camaraderie and coaching to start new lives, new careers and new veteran-owned businesses.
- Christmas Angel Trees for homeless veterans
If you would like to be part of this group or if you would like to add someone to our active military roster for prayers and care packages, please contact Erica Uplinger.
Veterans Support Group
Veterans Support group meets weekly on Wednesday nights - share a meal together, then break into 2 different group:
This Combat Trauma Support Group is a fellowship for combat veterans who share their experiences, compassion, and hope in overcoming the invisible wounds of war. This is not a treatment program, but rather a peer coaching and support program whose primary purpose is helping combat veterans find healing, balance, and positive re-integration with their families and in society.
Veteran Caregiver Group
Veteran Caregiver Group is a support group for the spouses and caregivers of our combat veterans. We share experiences, foster compassion and hope, and share information regarding the invisible wounds of war and how they affect our families. Our primary purpose is to assist the family as a whole with healing and support to move toward a brighter future.
For more information on this ministry, please contact Erica Uplinger.