If you are interested in joining our church family, there are several opportunities for you to do so immediately following any of our weekend worship services or at the conclusion of our First Connections Class that we offer to introduce our guests into the mission and ministry of First Methodist Mansfield. The following are responses to several of the most frequently asked questions about membership in our church.
Do I have to be baptized to join the church?
All members of the United Methodist Church are baptized Christians, which means that when you come to join, you may do so with a profession of faith which will include a time of baptism. If you have already been baptized, at any age or in any Christian denomination, we recognize and receive your baptism and welcome you into our membership as a transfer from another Christian church. If you or a member of your family would like to schedule a baptism, you may do so by contacting the church office.
What are the expectations of members?
Members of all United Methodist churches are asked to commit to the following categories of Christian living.
- Prayers: Members commit to pray for our church, our community and our world.
- Presence: Members commit to be present in worship and other opportunities where they can grow in their faith.
- Giving: Members commit to financially support the mission and ministry of the church through regular offering.
- Service: Members commit to find a place where they can serve and be a part of the work that the church is doing locally, regionally and around our world.
- Witness: Members commit to living and sharing a life of faith that reflects their commitment to Christ.
What about my kids?
We take very seriously our commitment to partner with families in the process of nurturing children into Christian faith. We believe it is one of the most important things we do as a community of faith. Children who join our church with their families are called constituent members in anticipation of Confirmation, a 10-week class for our 6th graders (or older students who have not been through Confirmation) taught by our pastors where they are introduced to the basics of Christian faith and church membership. At the conclusion of confirmation, these young people are confirmed as full members of our church.
So, what's the next step?
If you have already been baptized, you may join our church family at any time. Please visit Guest Central in the Atrium outside the Sanctuary before or after any of our worship services or the Welcome Desk outside of the Chapel. Our staff and volunteers will be there and will help you with the joining process. You may also join our church family at the conclusion of our First Connections Class.